Sunday, April 6, 2014

Simple Tips for Safer Online Shopping

There is a lot of anxiety surrounding the protection of your private information while shopping online. Keeping your privacy online seems like a stressful force with which you have no tools to take preventive action. In fact there are indeed some simple things that a person can do to protect themselves.

You probably don’t turn your computer off often enough. By leaving your computer connected to the internet all day and night you give scammers continuous access to your computer. Turning off your computer is a simple daily task that you can do to help protect your privacy online.

Another important thing to consider for protecting yourself online is choosing a strong password for your online shopping accounts. Considering passwords that are long and unique to you will make your account information more secure. You should never respond to any emails that request your password and other personal information.

In case of concerns of fraudulent activity in online shopping accounts every online shopper should know where they can make a compliant. Knowing this information is helpful to flag any suspicious users or transactions.

These considerations may seem small, but they are not trivial. Every online shopper should take these precautions to help protect their privacy and make their online shopping experience safer.

Written By: Ahmed Almusa

ٍSources:
https://www.staysafeonline.org/stay-safe-online/protect-your-personal-information/online-shopping

http://www.today.com/id/17920302/ns/today-money/t/protect-yourself-when-buying-stuff-online/

4 comments:

  1. Out of the three ideas listed above about how you can safeguard yourself, there was only one that I was familiar with.

    I shop online occasionally and never even concerned myself with knowing where the tab is to make a complaint if I had to. If people knew more information about protecting themselves from some fraudulent activities, they would be less stressed. Some people don't care and some individuals won't shop online because of the hazards of their information being taken.

    I am going to make an effort of shutting my computer down more often than just placing it in sleep mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, people should be more aware of how to handle their online activities safely and not share critical information with suspicious and untrusted websites. I also think that when online stores build their websites, they put more effort into emphasizing their products and less effort in making sure that their customers’ information is much secured.
      And finally, if you find yourself tired from shutting you computer on and off all the time you can just disconnect it from the network every time you finish browsing the internet. It's just the same as shutting your PC off.

      Delete
  2. This is very interesting. I rarely shut down my laptop and i had no idea that it was putting my personal information at risk. I will defiantly try to shut down my laptop more often now that I know what Im exposing my self to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, I never shut down my computer, and I sometimes let it run up to one week.
    If these are the things I might be end running through, I should never let it run without
    my present. Thank you for the valuable information.
    Mohammed Bin Ahmed

    ReplyDelete