Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Issues faced by Internet privacy

There are a lot of issues and concerns that faces the internet privacy such as hacking, scamming, and data leaking. One of the most dangerous problems that faces the internet privacy is hacking. Hacking is unethical or sometimes illegal act of an individual or a group of individuals who hacks a system or a website in order to destroy or steal certain types of information. There are different reasons for hackers to hack; for example, seeking for a profit, a way of protesting in any kind. Also, scamming is one of the most popular issues that faces internet privacy. Scamming is the act of fraud, and scammers usually pretend to be an official website in order to steal someone's money, information, and/or identity. For example, a scammers sends a link to someone such as a survey, an email, a website, or any kind of communication type in order to have him or her to fill out their personal information such as name, credit card number, social security number, email address, etc. Why? They either seek to steal money or steal valuable information. Finally, the data leaking process start when a person register into a website and do not apply the privacy settings. As a result, all of his or her information become available to the public and anyone or everyone are able to take them or use them such as pictures, phone numbers, extra. The most common example is social network such as Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. While reading for my online class about ethics and technology I learned that the term hacking actually had a good connotation. It was meant when describing the understanding of technology and the ways it worked. Only later did it become a bad thing. I think I could have been a victim of scamming. I took an online survey for Olive Garden and weeks later kept getting phone calls from random people that had access to my information like address, email address, and phone number. I believe they did this to try and sell me their product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you so much for your valuable information and your honest opinion. I also agree and I had the same thing in the past. I believe that happened because I ignored the privacy policy. Yet, I started to review the privacy policy before signing up or giving up my information.

    Mohammed Bin Ahmed

    ReplyDelete